The following comments and policy recommendations are based on the results of 6 Community Meetings, in 41 Vulnerable Communities, with 448 residents.
Low police diversity and training practices lead to poor communication and bias.
Community challenges like Black on Black crime, guns, and drug use must be addressed.
- More of “the right” police in high crime areas
- Better communication between police and community
- More Black officers
- Better relationships between young, black males and police
- Youth activities and supervision
PBEOC Policy Recommendations
- Establish a steering committee to oversee Pittsburgh Bureau of Police’s reforms and community engagement
- Train public safety personnel on reconciliation, justice, and bias
- Diversify hiring and accountability practices
- Monitor public safety priorities and indicators